This article is devoted to the specifics of obtaining Digital Nomad visas. It was prepared by an expert of the Uway company, who is engaged in issuing visas for relocation.
This article will help you understand what a digital nomad visa is, who it will suit and what are the conditions for obtaining it in 2023.
What is Digital Nomad Visa?
Digital Nomad Visa, or digital nomad visa, is a long—term visa that allows a foreign citizen to live in a particular foreign country for a long time and work remotely.
At the same time, in most cases, it is prohibited to receive income from the state in which you live on a digital nomad visa.
In recent years, many countries have opened such a visa in order to attract remote workers to themselves and boost their economy: visitors work for another country, do not take jobs here, but at the same time spend their earned money at their place of residence.
As a rule, a Digital Nomad visa is issued to citizens of third countries, which include Russia, as well as CIS countries.
The main advantages of such a visa are:
- stay in a foreign country for more than 3 months in a row — most nomad visas are issued for up to 1 year with the right to extend;
- the holder of such a visa receives most of the rights of a resident of the country, which makes it possible to enjoy the benefits within the state (open accounts in banks, travel — for example, if you have received a nomad visa in one of the countries of the Schengen Union, you have the right to travel freely throughout the Schengen area);
- tax privileges — mostly countries meet digital nomads halfway and tax their income at a reduced rate;
- the opportunity to take a spouse and children with you — most countries allow you to take a family with you, provided that the digital nomad has sufficient funds for its maintenance;
- prospects for obtaining a residence permit, and later citizenship of the country where you live in the status of a digital nomad, it does not apply to all countries.
The procedure for obtaining a Digital Nomad visa
There is a common procedure for applying for a visa for all countries providing a digital nomad visa:
- Collecting documents.
The main documents for this visa are documentary evidence of remote work and compliance of the amount of income with the requirements of the country. Usually, documents must be translated into the language of the state and apostilled.
- Applying for a visa.
It is possible either at the place of permanent residence through the embassy/consulate of a foreign country, or abroad, arriving on another visa. Online visa application is also available in some countries.
- Waiting for the result.
In most cases, the waiting time for a visa decision is 1-2 months.
Basic list of documents
Regardless of the country you choose, to obtain the status of a digital nomad, you will need the following documents:
- a foreign passport;
- a recent visa-sized photo;
- documents confirming the availability of remote work, orders;
- proof of income (usually above €2,500 per month);
- certificate of no criminal record;
- medical insurance.
You may also be asked to provide information about where you will live abroad, a marriage certificate and other documents — the country’s representative office reserves the right to request any additional documents and certificates.
Top 5 countries that most often issue a digital nomad visa
Let’s consider the conditions for issuing visas in the countries that most readily approve this visa.
The conditions for granting a visa are employment in a foreign company or your own business, income from €3,500 per month (if you travel with your spouse — +20% of income, for each child — +15%).
The validity period of the visa is 2 years with the possibility of extension, you can travel outside the country for no more than six months.
Advantages — you can take your family with you, and if you rent a house through a contract, then you can get a residence permit in Greece.
Read more on the official website.
To obtain a visa, you will need proof of work in a company not from Portugal or for a non-Portuguese customer/s, income of at least € 3,040 per month, as well as an individual taxpayer number in Portugal (can be obtained through the service).
There are 2 categories of nomad visa:
- ET — allows you to stay in the country for 1 year, the period of stay can be extended;
- D — resident visa, valid for 4 months — during this time you need to get a Portuguese residence permit, and you can stay in the country until 5 years, and then extend it.
The visa is good because it allows you to take your family with you (but with an accompanying visa) and get a residence permit.
Detailed information is available on the website of the Portuguese Foreign Ministry.
A visa is an analogue of a residence permit, issued on the basis of proof of income outside Cyprus in the amount of at least € 3,500 per month, as well as a rental agreement for the duration of your stay in the country.
It is necessary to apply on the territory of Cyprus, no more than 3 months must pass from the moment of entry into the country.
The validity period of the visa is 1 year with the right to extend.
The main advantages of a visa are that it gives you the right to apply for a residence permit, you can go with your family.
Detailed information is available on the website.
The digital nomad visa in the Emirates is called Green Residence, which is a residence permit. It can be obtained if you have an income of at least $ 90,000 (about $4,000 per month) for the last 2 years and a permit for remote work (freelance), you also need to have a higher education (bachelor’s degree and higher).
The validity period of the visa is 5 years. After the visa expires, the digital nomad and his family will be able to legally stay in the UAE for another six months.
Learn more about the visa on the website.
The main condition for granting a visa is the availability of income from remote work in the amount of at least $80,000 per year or from $40,000 per year + a master’s degree/intellectual property/investment of at least $ 1 million in the country’s economy. It is also necessary to have at least 5 years of work experience.
The visa is issued in Thailand and is issued for a period of up to 5 years with the possibility of extension up to 10 years. A family (up to 4 people) can come with you.
The details are on the website.
The Digital Nomad visa is a great option for those who earn money remotely and want to travel the world. Some foreign countries on the basis of this visa give the right to obtain a residence permit immediately or after several years of permanent residence, which is also a big plus in current realities.
Below we have compiled for you a list of all countries that will issue a digital nomad visa in 2023:
- European — Albania, Andorra, Hungary, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Spain, Cyprus, Latvia, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Croatia, Estonia;
- Latin American — Brazil, Argentina, Costa Rica, Mexico, Ecuador, Colombia;
- Caribbean countries — Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Dominica, Curacao, Saint Lucia;
- Asian — Kyrgyzstan, Malaysia, UAE, Taiwan, Thailand, Sri Lanka;
- African — Cape Verde, Mauritius, Namibia, Seychelles.
As well as Georgia, the Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, Indonesia, Mauritius, Montserrat and Panama.
Uway company is engaged in issuing visas to different countries, including Digital nomad visas, as well as immigration and relocation issues — details on the website.